Days after Jay Leno was significantly injured in a storage fireplace, his physician mentioned Wednesday that he hopes the longtime tv host can be launched inside the week.
Dr. Peter Grossman — the director of the Grossman Burn Heart in West Hills Hospital — instructed NBC Los Angeles that Leno had burns to “roughly 7% of his physique.”
He mentioned the burns have been “comparatively severe” and concerned Leno’s face, palms and chest. Grossman mentioned it’s “too early to inform whether or not there’s going to be any everlasting injury” to the star’s face.
The physician added that they added momentary pores and skin grafts from “human cadaver pores and skin” to Leno’s physique, which is a typical process. He mentioned he plans to return to the working room in “a couple of days” with a extra everlasting resolution.
“Take away that after which we’ll assess what he wants from there and hopefully undoubtedly get his wounds to shut,” he mentioned.
Grossman added that “typically, burns are most likely essentially the most painful sort” of damage however Leno appears to have a “very excessive ache threshold.”
“He’s additionally very stoic particular person and he’s simply not one who desires to complain,” Grossman mentioned, including that Leno has been “very gracious, he’s very pleasant.”
“He’s very appreciative,” Grossman mentioned. “He’s obtained a really optimistic angle. He’s humbled by the quantity of outpouring of affection, and maybe even just a little embarrassed of the eye that he’s getting for it. He simply desires to be a daily man and get again to work.”
Grossman mentioned he doesn’t need to “communicate too early,” however is optimistic Leno can have a “very optimistic end result.”
A supply near the comic instructed NBC Information on Tuesday the burns have been on the left aspect of Leno’s face.
The supply mentioned the hearth broke out whereas Leno — an avid automobile collector and host of “Jay Leno’s Storage” — was engaged on his 1907 White Motor Firm steam-powered automobile in his storage in Burbank, California. Leno was fixing a clogged gas line, the supply mentioned, when gas leaked and gasoline sprayed on his face. Then a spark began the hearth, the supply mentioned.
Leno confirmed the incident in an announcement Monday.
“I obtained some severe burns from a gasoline fireplace,” the longtime TV host mentioned within the assertion. “I’m OK. Simply want every week or two to get again on my ft.”
The supply near Leno instructed NBC Information that each one of Leno’s scheduled occasions for the subsequent two weeks have been canceled.
Grossman mentioned Wednesday he wasn’t positive how lengthy Leno would want to stay hospitalized however he hoped to launch him rapidly.
“It’s just a little bit too quickly to speak about when he’s going to be launched,” he mentioned, including that burns might be unpredictable. “I’m hoping that it could be inside every week however once more, I don’t know for positive.”
Diana Dasrath contributed.